Luckily the tall pine tree (that Andy had planned to take down this spring) fell in front of the house and only busted the gate to our fence (which truthfully needed some TLC this spring anyway). I am so glad it wasn't spring yet and that none of our cars were parked in the driveway!!! That would have been a disaster! (not to mention that the van was just in the body shop! - don't ask!)
forgive the blur - raindrops on the window - that is the root system torn out of the ground
So Andy called the power company since a line was down and they apparently call everyone! The volunteer firemen showed up quickly to assess the situation. Luckily the line pulled down from the pole and was not live. No fire hazards here. The cable company and phone company couldn't do anything until the tree was removed. Since the cable line and phone lines were hanging down but still attached we did not lose those utilities (except for the fact that they didn't work without power!)
Our neighbor Mike came over with a generator to give a little juice to our fridge and Chuck came over and cut up the entire tree in about 15 minutes. It helps having handy neighbors that love using chainsaws!
The power was back on by about 2pm...then the cable and phone guys came back yesterday to reattach the lines to the house.
All in all we were lucky and power was restored quickly. Now we just have to remove all of the tree branches from our front yard. (It is also nice to have neighbors that love to burn things so we are going to pile the tree parts in the back until the dry out and Chuck and Andy can light them on fire!)
3 comments:
Wow! I'm so glad that the tree didn't do any serious damage. Sounds like you are living in a pretty amazing community! I'm happy to hear that you have great neighbors (although I still think you should be living next door to me).
This would have been so scary! That is awesome that your neighbors are so nice.
How scary! I'm glad you didn't have any more damage. You were lucky! Sounds like you have great neighbors, I'm jealous!
Post a Comment