Sunday, September 21, 2008

2:20AM and Andy is in France

I woke up at 2:20am to a horrible crashing sound. I was sure that for some unknown reason (no storms or high wind) that another tree crashed down in our yard. I looked out my window and lo and behold, a red jeep in the street and my fence knocked down. I threw on clothes and ran downstairs. I looked out the front door. I originally thought I saw my neighbor Mike out there so I went out to see what happened. Turns out it wasn't Mike. Just the guy who crashed. He seemed to be ok and was very apologetic. Said a deer ran out in front of him and when he swerved, he hit the curb and crashed into my yard. Turns out he hit the telephone pole and by the time the cops got there, there were 5 deer that ran into the road...which of course the cops didn't believe one bit. He had tried to back out of the yard - probably to flee the scene but his car wasn't going to go any further. He was starting to not feel well and thought he broke his ribs so I used his phone to call 911. And apparently the neighbors on the corner also called. He proceeded to grab some cigarettes from his car to smoke, ironically, when he said it was difficult to breathe (airbag didn't go off and he likely broke some ribs).

The police arrived and surveyed the scene. They called the fire dept to come check out the telephone pole and to help with his injuries. They originally thought the jeep was in the spot where he crashed. And one guy walked down the street aways to figure out where the white paint on his car came from. Then when he came to talk to me, he noticed the fence/yard etc.

IT was like an episode of COPS....and of course Andy left for France this morning! He loves COPS. LOL.

He hit the telephone pole then ricocheted into my yard...thru my white picket fence. That poor fence. The tire tracks are seriously inches from my house.

I pseudo watch (playing on the internet while Andy watches) COPS and I saw him search thru his car and then go wander over by my neighbors rock wall (gotta love NE). I figured he probably ditched something there. So after the ambulance took him away, I told one of the cops that my husband watches too much cops but I thought maybe he threw something over there. YEP! A big half can of heineken.

In hindsight, I should have stayed in the house and called 911 instead of going outside by myself at 2:30am (not that I even knew what time it was. Luckily he wasn't visibly drunk and was nice and apologetic.

So now I have to call someone to give me an estimate on the fence, grass and landscaping damage and call his insurance compnay with the police report number.

I guess I am lucky it was at night when everyone was safe in bed, that he didn't hit my minivan or my house, that noone got killed, that he wasn't a bad drunk. SO DUMB for going out there now that I can think about it more logically.



From this morning:
DSCF7111

the telephone pole
DSCF7102

I am standing at the edge of his tire track and that is my house on the left. So by the time you take the bumper etc into account...he missed my house by INCHES.

DSCF7114

Debris from his car - blinker, light, mirror parts
DSCF7110

DSCF7105

DSCF7108

DSCF7107

And I was just telling Andy that we need to paint the part of the fence we had to replace after a tree fell in our yard during a storm. Good thing we didn't get to that yet!

3 comments:

Molly said...

Oh wow. Thank goodness nobody got hurt. Fences can be replaced, people cannot. It seems that the men are always gone when something happens!
So glad everybody's okay. Hopefully the rest of your time without Andy will be uneventful!

Jess said...

Oh man! Thank goodness you and the girls and the house are ok, and that he wasn't a total crazy person--quite the adventure for 2:30 in the morning when you're home alone! Andy is going to be so mad that he missed all the excitement!

Beth Chandler said...

Oh man, how scary! Thankfully he didn't make it too much further!

-Beth